by derekdeedman on 12 March, 2013
The ideas from the Group’s January Planning Meeting have been brought together into five main focus areas for 2013: –
• A revamped Give Your Stuff Away Day – starting on Sunday 7th April and running quarterly over the year. There is a new indoor gathering point at Steyning’s Catholic Church enabling the Day to go ahead whatever the weather. See below for details.
• Tasty tips on eating well, and wasting less – a series of events to get people thinking about what they eat, how more food can grown locally, to turn out tasty nutritious meals, and avoid throwing good stuff away unnecessarily.
• A Compost Campaign – to encourage the continuation of composting, so more of local green waste can be recycled in our own back yards. To include a ‘compost clinic’ with advice on how to get the compost heap steaming.
• Meet your meter and cut your bills – the Group will be lending out energy meters and offering hands-on help in tracking residents fuel consumption so people can spot where energy is being wasted, and savings can be made.
• Walks, talks, and tweets – monthly ‘Green Drinks’ talks and debates will be continuing and the Group are lining up some great topics and speakers (see below). The meetings are on the last Wednesday of most months – but venues will vary so check the Greening Group website. A summer walk is also planned including an introduction on bee keeping, and Facebook will be used together with Twitter (@steyning1010 so the Group can keep the buzz going on all matters green.
Detailed plans are still being worked up for most of these, so keep an eye on the Greening website website and email update for latest news. Fancy helping the Group out with any of these? Drop them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or go along to a Green Drinks evening.
Give Your Stuff Away Day (GYSAD) kicks off on 7 April
It’s back. And this time it’s bigger and better! The format’s similar to last year – leaving unwanted items outside your home for others to pick up for free. But in addition the Steyning Catholic Church on Bramber Road will be used as the central collection location. There will be ‘make do and mend’ demos, providing recycling tips, and offering delicious teas and cakes. It’s from 1-5 pm so go along! See the Recycling Page on the website for full details. Future GYSAD dates are July 7th and October 6th, with a post-Christmas “stuff-shuffle” on January 5th 2014 so get them in your diaries now.
Green Drinks Speakers – planes, campaigns, and food chains
The next Green Drinks will be on Weds 27 March (8.00pm at the Norfolk Arms) – where local resident Malcolm Quigley, an engineer with Virgin Atlantic, will be talking about the steps the airline industry is taking to make flying more environmentally friendly.
Work is ongoing to finalise speakers for the rest of the year. Malachi Chadwick from 1010’s London HQ will be attending to talk about their experience running the global 1010 campaign; the Coop have been invited to talk about their perspective on sustainability; and hopefully there will be a session later in the year on green investments. Keep an eye on the website for latest details.
There are a number of other events coming up in the next month which may be of interest:
• 26 March – Brighton – the national Greening Campaign are running an in depth briefing on the Green Deal
• 28 March – Brighton – Friends of the Earth are organising an event on “Energy we can all afford”
• starting 31st March – Daylands Farm (the local organic farm that comes to the Farmers’ market) are running a series of “Pick it, Cook it events – a programme of foraging and cooking events reflecting the rhythm of the seasons”. Check out their website for details.
So it’s shaping up to be another busy year for the Steyning Greening Group. Hopefully many local people will be able to take part.
Leave a comment